What are the basic requirements to apply to the department? An applicant for admission must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and must have the necessary academic preparation to participate successfully in graduate level courses.
The applicant must also be able to score competitively on the GRE Subject (advanced) test in Physics.
The Department only considers graduate applications for the fall quarter. Applications are evaluated only when all of the materials listed below are received. We require:
- Online graduate admissions application.
- A statement of purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation: enter names & information of recommenders in the online application; they will receive an email with link to upload their letter. If letters have already been mailed, enter names of recommenders online or the application will not be considered complete for submission.
- One set of official transcripts: although you may upload unofficial copies with the application (for application review purposes), official transcripts are also required. These should be sent to UCLA Department of Physics & Astronomy, Graduate Office, 430 Portola Plaza, Box 951547, Los Angeles CA 90095-1547.
- GRE Physics and GRE general scores: request official report from ETS, UCLA institution code 4837, Physics Department/major code 0808 / Astro 0801. We will accept GRE scores from tests taken within the last 5 years. If the test was taken multiple times, enter the most recent scores on the online application.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores (international). Request official report from ETS Physics Deptartment/major code: 76 / Astro 61. We will accept TOEFL scores from tests taken within the last 2 years. Acceptable scores include: TOEFL: 570 (paper), 230 (computer), TOEFL IBT: 88, IELTS: 7.0. Send TOEFL scores to the department and IELTS scores to both the Department & Grad Division:
- UCLA Department of Physics & Astronomy, Graduate Office, 430 Portola Plaza, Box 951547, Los Angeles CA 90095-1547
- UCLA Graduate Admissions Student & Academic Affairs, 1255 Murphy Hall Box 951428, Los Angeles CA 90095-1428.
- Fellowship application: we encourage all U.S. citizens and permanent residents to submit the fellowship application.
- Deadline to submit application is December 15. Scores and letters should reach us by the first week in January. Note: only the required application application items will be evaluated. Do not mail or upload any other supplemental documents or any duplicates of uploaded application items.
Questions? Contact us by email or phone (310) 206-6994.